Quick Shots: Sunday Morning Coming Down (Week 8)
- #1 Alabama played with Tennessee before burying the Vols 44-13. Memo to those out there who think Bama is over rated (you know who you are David Pollack) Alabama has crushed every opponent they have played. Everyone. Three consecutive 40+ scoring games ON THE ROAD. That's pretty good and they are not going anywhere. Next week, the Tide plays a much over hyped game with Mississippi State.
- #2 Oregon clobbered Arizona State 43-21 Thursday night. Ducks running back Kenjon Barner had 112 yards rushing with 5:12 left in the FIRST QUARTER. These guys are good, the question is can they get through the gauntlet of possibly playing USC twice to make it to the big game. Next week, Oregon gets the Pac 12 free space on the bingo board, Colorado before they meet SoCal on November 3rd.
- #3 Kansas State sent two statements last night: The first was "We're pretty damn good" The other "As predicted, West Virginia is a paper tiger." The Cats dominated last night and forced West Virginia QB Geno Smith into two picks, something that hasn't happened since December of last season. Kansas State meets an upset minded Texas Tech team next week. Kansas is now at the forefront of the national title chase and they have the path of least resistance to get there.
- #4 Florida unloaded on a wounded and confused South Carolina team Saturday and buried the Cocks 44-11. Florida sent a message that they are better than the critics give them credit for. Now, they must finish the third leg of their journey to win the east: Face down #12 Georgia Saturday. Don't be fooled by the fact that #12 Georgia struggled with Kentucky Saturday, this should be a good game with everything on the line.
- #5 Notre Dame played a tight one with BYU, but came away with a hard fought win. Now the Irish are about to go into the fire against #7 Oklahoma in Norman. They;ll need more than the luck of the Irish in that one.
- #6 LSU taught Johnny football a lesson or two en route to a 24-19 win over #17 Texas A&M. The Tigers take a week off before their much ballyhooed meeting with Alabama at Death Valley on November 3rd.
- #7 Oklahoma crushed Kansas 52-7. They meet Notre Dame in a must win game Saturday in Norman.
- #8 South Carolina was buried by #4 Florida 44-11. The Cocks now have no chance to win a national championship and will fall out of the top ten for good. It was a tough day for Darth Visor and a team that showed some promise earlier in the month. They'll try to salvage a decent bowl birth Saturday at home against Tennessee.
- #9 USC had the weakest sister in the Pac 12, Colorado, and waxed them accordingly 50-6. The Trojans try to sharpen their swords against Arizona before their November 3rd showdown against #2 Oregon.
- #10 Florida State played three quarters of tight football against Miami before breaking it open in the fourth quarter and coasting to a 33-20 win. FSU tries to stay with the pack among the one loss teams when they meet on of the season's best stories, Duke, on Saturday in Tallahassee.
Other games of interest:
- That was close award: #11 Oregon State didn't play it's best game of the year, but survived Utah 21-7. The Beavers meet Washington next week.
- That was REALLY close award: #12 Georgia was locked in a battle with Kentucky until almost the very end, edging the Wildcats 29-24. Georgia better step up their game next week against #4 Florida.
- Way To Hang In There Award: #14Louisville came away with a hard fought 27-25 win over South Florida, continuing to help the stock of Louisville head coach Charlie Strong.
- Big Bully Award: #16 Mississippi State rolled over Sunbelt opponent Middle Tennessee 45-3. The stakes get much higher for the Bulldogs as the now have to play at Alabama, Texas A&M and at LSU in successive weeks. Good luck with that.
- Rocket in my pocket award: Toledo upset #18 Cincinnati 29-23.
- Basketball award: #19 Texas Tech prevailed over #20 TCU 56-53. Tech now gets Kansas.
So long and thanks for playing: South Carolina, West Virginia, Cincinnati, TCU
Movin' on Up: Clemson, Mississippi State, Rutgers, Duke
One loss team with best chance: LSU, USC, Oklahoma
Next Top 5 going down: Notre Dame