Quick Shots: Sunday Morning Coming Down (Week 12)
- #1Oregon was slowed to a crawl by #13 Stanford in overtime 17-14. If you live by the points, you die by the points. They've got Oregon State next week, but if they lose or if they win and Stanford wins, there will be no conference championship game, so it looks like they are dead in the water (pun intended.)
- #2 Kansas State was knocked off by Baylor, a team that not only has a losing record, but gave up 70 points to West Virginia earlier this year. Kansas State will likely fall so far, they cannot recover even if a couple teams above them lose again. And now, they have Texas.
- #3 Notre Dame did what was expected of them, beating a weak sister in Wake Forest 38-0. The only thing standing between Notre Dame and a championship game birh is USC, and lately, it looks more and more like USC has packed it in for the season.
- #4 Alabama whacked a baby seal in FCS opponent Western Carolina 49-0. They should move up to second and with wins over Auburn and Georgia in the SEC championship game, make it to Miami. If the computers will let them.
- #5 Georgia also had an FCS opponent in Georgia Southern, coming away with a 45-17 victory. Georgia ends its' season against Georgia Tech and then it's back to Atlanta against Alabama with a BCS game bid on the line.
- #6 Florida State waxed Maryland 41-14. They most likely won't move up very far because of their weak non-conference schedule and the weak ACC.
- #7 Florida struggled with FCS opponent Jackson State, but did pitch a 23-0 shutout. Florida now meets Florida State to end the regular season. That game could go a long ways to helping Florida State rather than Florida.
- #8 LSU finally held off Ole Miss 41-35. As the best two loss team, LSU needs a ton of help and probably won't get it, although stranger things have happened. The best the can hope for at this point is a trip to the Sugar Bowl, but they will need Georgia and Florida to lose.The Tigers end the year against hapless Arkansas on Friday.
- #9 Clemson pounded NC State 62-48. If the ACC was a stronger conference, the one loss Tigers could leap frog both Florida and LSU. Unfortunately, it's not. Clemson finishes the season at home against South Carolina in a huge game for them. Can they beat an SEC team not named Auburn?
- #10 Texas A&M beat FCS opponent Sam Houston State 47-28. They probably will stay right where they are, ending their season next week against Missouri next week and looking at a good New Year's Day Bowl like the Outback or the Capitol One Bowl.
Other games of interest:
- The Defense, We Don't Need No Stinkin' Defense Award: #12 Oklahoma outlasted Virginia 50-49. West Virginia needs a win against Iowa State Saturday or Kansas a week from Saturday to become bowl eligible. A former top ten team, the Mountaineers are now 5-5.
- The To Live and Die In LA Award: #16 UCLA further compounded USC's miserable season with a convincing 38-28 win over their rival. UCLA gets tested by Stanford, fresh off their upset of Oregon to end the regular season. Oregon needs UCLA to win to get into the Pac 12 Championship game and an outside shot at the BCS championship game.
- Don't Let The Sunbelt Go Down On Me Award: #20 La Tech loses in OT to Utah State 48-41. Sonny Dykes stock will not take a hit, however.
So long and thanks for playing: Kansas State, Oregon, Texas Tech
Movin' on Up: Alabama,Stanford, UCLA, Clemson,